Monday, September 15, 2008

My Sister/ Bumping into Mr. Ravioli/ The American Man at Age Ten

Starting with My Sister, it seemed like a very pointless story to me. It simply showed an odd connection- maybe not odd but different connection between a girl and her older sister who she was unsure if she even wanted her around most of the time. But in the end sticks up for her, simply showing the sibling connection.

Mr. Ravioli on the other hand I really enjoyed. I thought it showed how funny children can be at that age and hoe much they truly do imitate their surroundings. Her parents I thought did a great job in trying to find out if it was normal for their child to have an imaginary friend, thinking if it was my own child I think i would be very nervous about imagiinary friends but seeing how his sister broke it down in an explination it seemed normal. I thought it was comical how she did make a friend that was even too busy to play with her, I think it showed a lonely child truly looking for something interesting and "grown up" to talk about with her parents.

Lastly, The American Man at Age Ten first off was a good read mostly because at more than one point within the essay it made me laugh out loud. And standing in line reading and laughing to yourself looks kind of weird but that was me! But anyway, I completely thought that the narrator was ten aw well? At points it was very obvious all up until she said that he asked what profession her husband had, and she said a lawyer and so on. But right in the beginning of the story she said that she wanted to marry Colin. So that was a bit confusing, maybe I just missed something. And just one line that I can remember off of the top of my head was the line about him wanting to go to college at Oklahoma City State College University, OCSCU, which I thought was so cute for some reason. And also loved his contradiction with woman. He loved them, he hated them, but the most beautiful was his mom, that was relaly cute. Which shows at that age that boys are still unsure if they want to like girls or not, if its cool, ut definitely liking your mom is okay. But even some of the things that he knew at ten years old was shocking to me; abortion, sex and money and marriage. Also when he highlights race for a second in the reading seemed odd and out of place.

1 comment:

Lauren K. Hansen said...

I had the same misconception originally - I thought that the writer was ten - at least at the time the events occurred. I think she does this on purpose - to confuse us slightly and draw us in. I think it worked quite well.